While the free primary education program introduced by the Kenyan government for public schools has, increased access to education especially among the less fortunate households, additional costs such as school uniforms, shoes, meals etc. continue to hold back the educational achievement of many children. As a result, the provision of quality education is still a challenge.
- To offer volunteers an opportunity to take part in building a strong education foundation of these children.
- To improve both access and quality of education.
- To support the teachers by giving one to one attention to children who need it, and in so doing advance their development.
Volunteer involvement areas?
- Supporting with teaching of the children e.g. Basic English lessons, number work.
- Involved in carrying out creative arts and crafts.
- Leading games/sport sessions in the afternoon.
- Assist in developing teaching aids and resources.
Monday – Friday a day in the life of a volunteer is the same but may be altered depending on the chosen project. The routine may be similar, but every day is different! You will learn, create bonds with children and share your experiences with those surrounding you.
7.00 AM Volunteers are to wake up, have breakfast, and prepare for a fun filled day on project!
8.00 AM Leave house, drive to your chosen project and meet with project staff.
9.00 AM Support with teaching of the children e.g. Basic English lessons, number work and colouring. Involved in carrying out creative arts and crafts. Assist in developing teaching aids and resources.
12.30 PM Lunch: Before you have your lunch, you can help plate up and serve the children’s food.
1.15 PM It’s time for afternoon activities, that volunteers have chosen to do. Leading games/sport sessions in the afternoon.
2.30 PM – 3.00 PM Pick Up: Volunteers will be picked up and taken straight back to the house. You are free then do what you like whether it is relaxing or catching up with family back home.
Evening Volunteers get together with the host family and have dinner, sharing experiences and creating new friendships!!
Saturday and Sunday Volunteers are free to do what they want during the weekend. You can have much needed down time or explore more of Kenya and your surrounding area. Volunteers usually go on day trips or weekend trips visiting the beach or visiting one of Africa’s main attractions the Maasai Mara!!